Thursday, November 26, 2009

"Overrated" Games

Happy Turkey Day! Now...let's talk.



This drives me crazy whenever I hear people describing a game as "overrated". Why? It implies that games can factually be better than others. As in, it would be fact that the Halo games are awesome.(Well, they are, but....whatever.) It's meaning is extremely ambiguous. When I see people say "overrated" I think one of the following things.

•They want attention by saying classics are overrated.
•They simply don't agree with the majority's opinion about a game.

The only games I hear people call "overrated" are the highly viewed ones. It's like people who say "that wasn't funny" whenever people laugh at something. I also find it annoying whenever some people complain about games being "overrated" Such as Halo or Zelda or Mario. Or, in my recent post about Modern Warfare 2, there was someone who didn't really agree with the other testimonials. (Only from Gow, only from Gow.)

Dictionary.com definition of "overrated": "to rate or appraise too highly; overestimate: I think you overrate their political influence."

Okay, I guess there can be some legitimate uses, let's switch some things around and make it a more legitimate such as "Pokemon's replay value is overrated" as in a game design perspective. But, it is very much opinion. But, it can be a pet peeve for me at times. I ask you, the readers(probably more like reader maybe, lol.) What are your thoughts?

Liked this post? Why don't you subscribe!