Sunday, November 29, 2009

Let's talk Nintendo 64


I loved this console. I really did. There are plenty of crazies out there who think it was terrible. Well, they're just stupid(I'm only messing) it had many favorites such as Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2.(Difficult, yet very strategic, puts the emphasis on the strategic elements of Poke'mon.) Or that one Star Wars game of which I don't remember the name. You also got Diddy Kong Racing.

My favorite games for the N64!

-Pokémon Stadium 1 & 2: Why? It really emphasized the whole strategy element of Pokémon. Plus choose almost all the Pokémon in that generation(s). To put it simply, Choose most any Pokémon and fight. Plus a few mini-games and R/B/Y/G/S/C compatibility.(Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal.) Other than that, not much to say.

-Super Mario 64: It's a 3D Mario game. Not really much else I can say.

-Diddy Kong Racing: It's a racing game with an adventure. Car, bad controls for rafts(the game calls them something else.), and my favorite, the plane. Good challenge, lots of fun.

-Pokémon Snap(Give me a break, when I first got the N64 I practically worshipped Pokémon): A photography simulator, it's fun. Challenging.

-Star Fox 64: OMG, Star64 mentioned Star Fox 64, I love Star Fox too! All terrible attempts at being funny pushed aside, it was a Pilot game, I love Pilot games.

Not everyone liked the N64. For 1, the prices for the games weren't on the cheap side. (Well, Nintendo's cartridges cost as much as a new game for the 360 or PS3, which use optical disks which are cheaper to make, but I digress.) sure, at the time, the budget for games were lower. (back in Atari days, it would only really take one person to make a quality Atari game due to the only thing needed is the actual gameplay and not that difficult sprite work.)



Another reason were the controllers. They were terrible. Left wanted the stick, but so did right. What do we do? We compromise! Put it in the middle! Turns out, that was a terrible idea. It's like the 3/5 compromise. It just ends up very strange. Now adays, they would've let them both have a stick. Keep in mind now, N64 was like Leif Erickson but not as badass. (You don't fuck with vikings man, I'm Norwegian!) They were exploring previously unexplored territory, made some of the first 3-D games(I'm not calling Ray-tracing 3-D, maybe 3-D primitive, but not true 3-D) along side the PlayStation. The whole dual stick Movement/Camera had yet to be invented/was still new.

Nintendo 64 actually helped me figure out a name. I was thinking of names, I thought okay 64(Why 64, it was the end of the bit war, and I put it at the end of the blogs name like Nintendo did with the N64.)Okay, stars are significant to gaming. I was thinking of Mario at the time too so.....

Liked this post? Why don't you subscribe!